Thursday, February 7, 2008

Pondering quality of our culture.


I have currently been the recipient of a beautiful bed as a gift. It is iron wood, hand carved in Costa Rica, King sized, and very very beautiful. This gift has necessitated a new coverlet since the previous bed was a Queen size. I haven't written about this previously however, I do seek a simple existence, not necessarily only in things but in activity. That is an entry to itself which I will leave for another time. In searching for a coverlet, I found that there were so many choices. I was thinking about the fact that our culture has created so many possibilities for the purchase on one thing. "Technological advances", that make polyester bedding possible and cheaper than linen or cotton. This began the downward spiral, well, really I am not sure what direction, to asking the question I always end up asking, "If we didn't have so many choices, then would things be of a better quality?" and "If so, would that choice be cheaper than what it is now?"

If we didn't have polyblend sheets then would the cotton ones be the low end, and the higher thread count cotton be the higher end? Is what was then considered "LOW end" actually considered what is "high end" now?

These questions inevitably result in a disgust for the packaged processed culture in which we live. Where nothing is handmade, and if it is handmade its probably poor quality. (I am thinking crocheted toilet paper covers here) where are the artisans? The artisans who do take the time to learn the skill and do it correctly charge a ridiculous amount for those of us who know quality when we see or feel it. I know, I am one in some areas. The sad thing is that 100 years ago our entire culture consisted of people who created beautiful things, it wasnt just the artists who made things. God created man in His image. He is a creator. Why then, has man turned over creating to machines? There is something amazingly fulfilling about working with your hands. There was work in the garden before the fall. I recognize the validity of machines. If it werent for machines or the people who made them many people would die in hospitals or at a young age from hard manual labor. many things wouldn't be possible. at any rate, There is no conclusion to an entry like this. just a statement and admission of thought. I clearly haven't thought it through completely but like so many other musings, I can't really ever finish a complete thought without being interrupted a million times for something like juice in a sippy or a potty treat. so. leave comments if you happen upon this entry and perhaps a good debate will begin.

No comments: