Thursday, February 14, 2008

Letting the night come.

I am sitting in my house, essentially alone. It is dusk. I have characteristically always been a lamp person, never failing to turn on the strategically placed lamp at the slightest provocation from the setting sun. Now, however; I find myself enjoying the darkness creep into the different corners of my home. Imagining the days before electricity enabled late night forays with the same amount of light as the daytime hours. there is a certain peace that comes with dusk. a lavender calm that passes over the house. No doubt enhanced by the absence of everyone but the sleeping baby, but regardless, I am enjoying it. I have been getting up at dawn lately because the baby has been waking for his morning feed. It is peaceful then too. I have a lot of respect for the celestial clock. the schedule it creates. I suppose it also has a lot to do with farm life. I can see how close relationships were formed by waking at dawn to work with your body all day alongside others and then to lay down at nightfall in the home, the family together during the long nights with no interruptions. no television to distract, no movies to escape to. just life. just now. I long for that.

No comments: