Thursday, March 13, 2008

soap!



The soap is ready. It cured for 4 weeks, and I was able to use it for the first time yesterday. It is wonderful. It has a very clean scent. My skin is clean but not dry; my face didn't feel oily after using either. My face tends towards break outs if I do not use the right kind of soap. This hasn't caused any problems. It also floats in the bath. I used the chips left over from cutting it into bars to make shampoo. I was able to use the shampoo for the first time this morning. I used a recipe for chamomile shampoo with a little extra things added in. The link I used for the soap was http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/12/easy_homemade_s.php. My soap came out a really beautiful color of light sage green. I don't know why. I followed the recipe.
shampoo recipe is basically as follows:
1 handful of Chamomile flowers
4tbsp of soap shavings
1tbsp of glycerin

boil 11/2cps water and steep flowers for 20 minutes. strain, add soap shavings, when soap has melted then add glycerin.

I didn't use the glycerin. Its supposedly a soap making by product; I made my soap and didn't have any by products, so, I don't see the reason for adding something back in. I added 1tsp of tea tree oil and 1 tsp of grapeseed oil since I have curly hair. It tends to be dryer than most other types and prone to frizz.

The shampoo came out more watery but a beautiful golden honey color. I used it this morning and was very pleased with the results.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Love the soap!

Melissa said...

Great soap!! Love the smell, feels good on my skin, and it lasts a long time!