Thursday, March 13, 2008

Projects in the works.

Some things I am currently thinking about or researching.

1.the modern 18th century wardrobe robe. -Corset making, stockings, dress making, shift. I am currently researching the idea of wearing a corset instead of our modern day undergarments. I want to find a way to have my lower back supported without having to wear a crazy lift support frequently worn by lowes employees.

2.weaving. -I have purchased a book on how to... I have yet to get all of the necessary accouterments needed for starting this project although I do have a table loom (alas, it is borrowed but still at my immediate disposal with no time limit).

3.tea-we have begun this, I just haven't blogged about it yet.

4.cheese making -I have all the supplies just no press yet. I will post on the various kinds. I believe I am just going to build one.

5.square foot gardening. -Pretty much have a plan. 4 boxes 4x6 to start out. Potatoes, herbs, corn, tomatoes, peppers, turnips, various squashes, beans, etc...

6.Raw milk. -we have begun this, I just haven't blogged about it yet. We are currently getting milk through a co-op from south carolina. We began doing this in December. so delicious. Making most of my own butter now.

7.bee keeping. I come by this interest honestly; my grandfather had over 100 hives at one time. I am still a little nervous about the all to real possibility or certainty of being stung multiple times, but that is what the internet is for... more research on how not be stung multiple times!

8.natural material hair accessories. Such as: what would a modern day woman use to make hair pins and combs out of since tortoise shells are illegal? Well, Bone, clearly a natural material and Cellulose, which I am told is plant derived and therefor a natural material. I have some links I will post on the blog entry regarding this research. Very exciting!

9.food preservation. Canning. Looking into buying a squeezo. also into buying some European canning jars. beautiful. I mentioned the company in an earlier blog but would like to expound on this issue.

10.beer and wine making. I would like to purchase a press for making cider. possibly for making wine. An ale or lager still would be substantially more involved, but nonetheless, I am interested.

11.Natural laundry detergents, drying clothes in the sunshine. I have built a clothesline and started using a natural soap called Soapnuts. I will have an expounded entry on these too.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Thanks for the tip on where to buy a wooden ladle!

jennyevelyn said...

oh please do some bee keeping... i miss Grandatches honey!