Friday, March 14, 2008

adventures in wardrobe.



This pattern is the one I will be using. http://www.jpryan.com/ladiespatterns.html
It was pulled from an authentic 18th century pair of stays.

I have worn a costume pair that I have had for while for about two or three days now and have to confess that they are so comfortable. Today, I went back to my previous undergarment and it has proved to be even more uncomfortable than usual. I do not scrimp in that department either. My undergarments are professionally fitted and sized to provide the accurate shape and ultimate comfort. However, the pair of stays has won out. My lower back is supported. My posture is perfect. I have a nice silhouette. For all intensive purposes, they have been exactly what I was looking for. Who knew?!

I ordered another set from http://jas-townsend.com; they were even more comfortable than the costume pair. After wearing them for about an hour, I decided that they were to large and once having seen them I decided that I could make a pair that were in a neutral color. If you decide to order from jas-townsend be sure to call them. Take your measurements of bust and waist. You'll want to ask them to give you the measurements of one side of the stays from front to back on each size. Double this measurement. (Medium is 14.5 inches across one side, 30 doubled) Then, add four inches. You should probably have about two inches in between front closure and two inches in between back closure. If your waist is 30" around then, the medium will be to large and only leave a small amount for tightening laces.

If you decide to make them, here is a great link for instruction.

http://www.marquise.de/en/1700/howto/frauen/18corset.shtml

also the shift, which I made. Great nightgown and/or slip, btw. very comfortable and attractive.

http://www.marariley.net/shift/shift.htm

Stockings:
I started thinking, well; if I am going to wear a dress during the winter, then how am I to stay warm? ... well, dress out of corduroy. using the New Look Pattern 6587, style e with lengthened sleeves and hem, add pockets to make it more functional. And add stockings and a flannel slip!
I just had these come in from http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=239

They are wool and quite warm. I just use a bit of twill tape tied just below my knee for garters. very cute.

I will probably use another one of Janice Ryan's patterns to adapt a coat to go over my dresses until then, I might just knit some cardigans out of wool.

The dresses are so much more comfortable than my jeans. I never realized until I started wearing a couple of dresses for the past 4 or 5 days. I put my jeans on today, ugh. I am so uncomfortable!

On the outside I will look like any other dress wearer in the 21st century. However, underneath; I have managed an 18th century wardrobe but modern.

Its probably a phase. I go through these quite often but what the heck!?, you only live once right? why not?

2 comments:

laurel said...

If anyone can pull this off, it is you. And that is what I love about you...your crazy, offbeat, obsessive tendencies that always produce something unexpected and fabulous. Don't ever change.

MadeByAmanda said...

I would love to see a picture of the dress!